Welcome to TyEye.ie
Introduction to the Transition Year Programme 2016/2017
Week beginning Monday 19th September
New articles are up under News
Year assembly on Wednesday
Ploughing Match on Tuesday
Senior Girls & Senior Boys Hockey trip Wednesday 21st - Monday 26th
Week beginning Monday 12th September
Congratulations to the Achill group, the feedback has been fantastic and teachers very positive about the trip, group behaviour and cooperation.
We have the Junior Certificate results on Wednesday, good luck everyone, celebrate in a responsible manner!
The Outdoor Skills group will be doing the Barrow 13km walk on Thursday, weather permitting. Please ensure you have suitable footwear and clothing. It is forecast to be a warm but dull day, however be prepared for all eventualities.
If anyone has not been allocated to a long course or is unsure of where they should be please see Mr. Willis ASAP.
Photographs of Achill are now up on this website under photos.
Week beginning Monday 5th September
Tuesday short courses start this week as do Thursday long courses. All students have been allocated their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices of long course. Full details of the first long course will be posted on the TY notice board on Monday 5th September. This is a busy week and Mr. Willis will be away with 3rd year Geography Trip and Hockey games. If you have questions please talk to him on Monday.
The Achill trip leaves on Friday morning at 8:30am. This year we are taking 98 students as the interest has been huge and we didn't want students to be disappointed. Obviously this is an enormous responsibility and undertaking and we are relying on students to appreciate this and to cooperate at all times. Details of clothing are posted on this site under Trips/Achill, please make sure you have appropriate clothing, footwear and wet weather gear.
The workshops and Tramore trips were very successful and both staff and students enjoyed them. Photos will be posted on this website as soon as they have all been sifted through.
Please follow our twitter account which is our virtual noticeboard and will give updates regularly.
We are working on updating this website
Kilkenny College Transition Year Programme 2016 - 2017
Kilkenny College is fully committed to the Transition Year Programme. We believe it is an initiative that allows students the time and space to develop and mature without the pressure of examinations. Past years have demonstrated how confidence and self esteem are acquired while students develop socially, personally, physically and academically through involvement in a broad range of activities.
During the year the world of work is experienced and possible career choices explored. There is emphasis on self regulated learning and skills that help provide a strong foundation for Leaving Certificate.
Transition Year aims to promote students personal, social, educational and vocational development and to prepare them for a role as an autonomous, participative and responsible member of society.
The overall aims of the Transition Year are:
- To provide the time and space for students to develop and mature without the pressure of examinations
- To build student's confidence and self-esteem
- To encourage students to develop socially, personally, physically and academically through involvement in a broad range of activities
- To provide the opportunity for students to experience new subjects and activities
- To assist students to build interpersonal and leadership skills
- To provide the opportunity for students to experience the world of work and explore possible career choices for the future
- To develop student's life skills
- To encourage students to develop greater independence of thought and capacity for decision
- To help students be better prepared for the demands of the Leaving Certificate
- To further develop student's I.T. skills
- To develop an environment of support and respect within the year
The aim of this site is to provide parents and students with information regarding the Transition Year Programme within Kilkenny College. During the year the site will be updated frequently with photographs, students articles, reviews and upcoming events.
Transition Year Co-ordinator 2016
See the Archive page for older posts